This may be the first time you and your co-workers see each other outside of the typical office or work environment—not wearing the usual office-wear or uniform.
What kind of impression do you want to make to your co-workers and bosses?
I remember one Christmas party that I went to years ago was held in a relatively small venue with tables and chairs for a set meal. Everyone was somewhat dressed up and behaving well-enough—until after dinner was finished and people started drinking way-too-much. Many of my co-workers were tipsy quickly after dinner finished, especially one lady who was wearing a tan catsuit with a shiny belt. This lady came across as aloof yet somewhat put-together at work, but at the party—the urine and wine stains on her catsuit gave us all a much different impression of her. Certainly, one that I wish I could erase from my memory!
Other than a catsuit, I would also not recommend wearing:
- Things that flash and bling
- Too much makeup (concentrate on one area of the face to highlight)
- Ugly Christmas sweaters (unless there is a theme)
- Mistletoe on your body, hoping to get kisses from your co-workers
- Really revealing nightclub dresses