When you’re travelling to more than one destination at a time, you really need to think about limiting the number of items you pack that will only be used for part of the trip. One thing that comes to mind is a travel guide used for just one destination of many.
On our most recent trip to this USA, Greg and I went to 7 different states and over 12 different cities. Can you imagine how heavy and huge our suitcases would have been if we’d taken travel guides with us for each of those?
It is nice to know that there are more and more travel apps available for devices so that you can store all your guides in one place. The DK Eyewitness New York city app travel guide is one that I recently used.
What I would suggest is doing some research before your trip using the full DK New York guide , and then using the iPad app to keep notes on where you’ll be visiting, and restaurants and stores to check out. If you’re a person who needs to see photos or pictures of a place rather than just a name, to recognise where you are, you’ll appreciate the street views, walking maps and other useful additions to this New York city app.
The walking map is great for concentrated places like the financial district, where many interesting building are located very near each other.
Other features include (via iTunes):
• Beautiful cutaways of buildings that can be explored by tapping and zooming … an incredible new way to experience all of your destination’s star sights
• Complete offline maps for all the central districts of the city, so that you always have high-quality maps to hand, even when no Internet connection is available. And with a 3G-capable iPad you can also locate yourself on the map when not connected to the Internet (with a Wi-Fi only iPad, you need to be connected to a Wi-Fi network to locate yourself on the DK map)
• Interactive city and park walks with “hotspots” that reveal extra information and pictures when tapped
• Build your own itinerary with the ‘My City’ feature
• Create a list of your favorite sights and pin them on a map so that they are easy to navigate back to whenever you want
• Extensive listings of the best sights, museums and attractions plus shops, restaurants, cafes and hotels
• See the best of the city by browsing through over 400 amazing pictures of your destination in the Gallery
• Share the information you want – whether a specific point of interest or even a whole itinerary – via email.
One of my favourite features is the ‘My City’ feature, where you can build your own itinerary. This is where doing some research before hand might be useful. Overall, I enjoyed having this app and look forward to seeing what changes are made to it in the future. I would have liked to see better maps for the areas, because I often found myself a bit turned around, trying to follow just the walking maps.
The app is $13.99 and available from the iTunes store.
I received this app for review purposes. I was not compensated in any other way.