While it has been a long summer, it will soon come to a close and school will be in full swing. While it is more than likely that the kids are not excited about back to school, there are things you can do to prepare your child for back to school.
1. Routine Getting your child back into their school bed routine should take place about three weeks before the first day of school. More than likely, the kids stayed up late during the summer months so they most likely didn’t get up so early. So, about three weeks before school starts, start putting your child to be 15 minutes earlier at night and waking them up eight or nine hours from that time. A week before school starts put them to bed 30 minutes earlier and a week prior to the start of school, have them in bed an hour earlier. With this routine, your child will be well rested and ready for school.
2. Schedules Most kids have schedules during the school year whether it is sports, clubs or after school tutoring. Be sure you first have the school calendar for the upcoming school year printed out. Be sure you have a copy of the bus schedule printed out as well. It is also important that during the school year, you write down times for practices, games and recitals.
3. Supplies Get all of the necessary school supplies early enough so they are prepared for the first day of school. You don’t want to be running around at the last minute trying to get school supplies. Most schools will send you a list in the mail a few weeks prior to school starting. If not, they will post the school supplies list online.
4. Rules Go over the rules of the house that pertain to back to school. Some rules you may want to enforce include doing homework in a room that has no distractions such including TV and video games.
5. Organizing is important when it comes to preparing your child back to school. By the end of the summer, most bedrooms look like a tornado ran through it. Go through their clothes and get rid of stuff that no longer fits them or they no longer wear. Find out what you need for fall clothes.
Back to school should be a fun and exciting time so be sure your child is prepared.
Do you have any tips for preparing your child for back to school?