The colourful room above, amply light shows how great a look you can achieve with LED lighting. Recently designer Samantha Pynn, from HGTV's The Mix, offered some tips on using lighting to change the look of and enhance a space:
Designing with Light
1. All well-designed spaces have multiple light sources. Aim for a minimum of five-point combination lighting and ensure they are all dimmable to avoid increased energy consumption.
2. Arrange lighting at different heights. Using a range of fixtures, such as pendant, recessed and wall sconces, in addition to desk, table and floor lamps.
3. The trend now is raw, industrial looking fixtures where bulbs are visible. Globes and chandeliers can be used in the same spaces to compliment the look.
4. Good lighting is better than plastic surgery! When people look great, so will your furniture and accessories. Using a combination of task lights with ambient or mood lights will not only make people look good, but can enhance the look of furniture as well.
5. Wherever possible, decorate with the environment in mind. It is important to buy items that will last, for example LED bulbs can last up to 23 years!
About Samantha Pynn Samantha is host of HGTV’s The Mix where she visits several stylish homes that showcase the ideal mix of old, new and personal flair, and Pure Design where she shows homeowners how to go green with gorgeous design. In each episode, she transforms everyday outdated rooms into stunning, sustainable living spaces reflective of today’s interest in green living. Samantha is also a contributing design editor for Style at Home Magazine and a National Post decorating columnist.
In 2010, Philips created the world’s first LED replacement bulb for a standard 60 watt bulb. I was recently given the opportunity to test out the bulb for myself.
The AmbientLED bulb by Philips not only saves money, but it lasts about 15 years (!!)—so you can put these in those out of the way light fixtures and not have to worry about replacing them for a very long time. Of course, these should really be used in everyday fixtures that you use regularly, too.
The bulb is heavy-duty—quite heavy, actually. I wasn’t worried about accidentally dropping and shattering glass. You’ll see what I mean in the picture below:
This AmbientLED bulb provides a nice soft white light, great for general or task lighting. It doesn’t give off much glare, so you don’t need to worry about using it for your desk lamp. I like it for my desk lamp, actually, because it doesn’t put out as much heat as an incandescent bulb.
Details This bulb fits a standard A19 base, and is equivalent to a 60w bulb. The AmbientLED bulb is dimmable, lasts 25,000 hours and is readily available.
Philips LED bulbs are available at major retailers across Canada including The Home Depot Canada, London Drugs and more. Suggested retail prices range from $12.98 to $44.98. (Provincial utility rebates’s are not reflected in these prices).
To learn more about Philips’ home lighting solutions visit Philips.ca
I was provided with the AmbientLED bulb to provide my honest opinions. I was not compensated in any other way.