At many special occasions in my family and community pilau or yakhni are served. These are dishes that generally take a bit of preparation to put together and quite a lot of ingredients. These dishes are always looked forward to, well-enjoyed, and highly praised. Unfortunately for me and other vegans/vegetarians, these traditional dishes always contain meat. My vegan chickpea yakhni pilau is my spin on a well-known classic.
I’m working with Shan Foods to share authentic, easy recipe mixes, pickles, and ginger garlic pastes with you. This post is brought to you by Shan. 🙂 I have been using their products for years and wanted to share my experience vegan–izing their recipe mixes with you.
Not only is my vegan chickpea yakhni pilau meat-free, it also comes together in a fraction of the time thanks to Shan Foods’ recipe mix: Punjabi Yakhni Pilau.
To spice up the box of recipe mix I challenged myself to add Shan’s Ginger Garlic Paste to my dish. You’ll see it in the list of ingredients in the recipe below. You can find both the paste and recipe mixes at your local Desi store. I like to keep a few different boxes of recipe mix on hand for meal solutions on weekday nights or if I have guests coming over.
Vegan Chickpea Yakhni Pilau
-1 can of chickpeas
-2 tablespoons Shan Ginger Garlic Paste
-1/4 packet Shan Punjabi Yakhni Pilau Mix
-1 large onion finely sliced
-2 cups basmati rice, soaked
- In 2 cups of water add chickpeas, ginger garlic paster, and Shan Punjabi Yakhni Pilau Mix. Cover and boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove chickpeas from the stock with a sieve. Measure the stock to equal 1.5 full teacups. Remove the whole spices from the stock.
- In hot oil fry onions until very light golden. Then add chickpeas and stock. Bring to a boil.
- Drain the soaked rice and stir it into the mixture.
- Cover tightly and cook on low heat for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and mix together.
Courses Lunch, Dinner
Want to add more fresh ingredients to your Yakhni Pilau? Try adding fresh cilantro, green chilies, or tomato slices.
This dish is perfect for when company is coming over, when you want authentic tasting food, or when you’re up for trying something new.
Follow along to see what other dishes my fellow bloggers have put together using Shan Foods products by checking out #Shan #TasteHappiness on Twitter.