I don’t make cupcakes very often—I usually prefer to eat my cake with a fork. What about you? I decided to make these Vegan Vanilla Almond Cupcakes, though, since it’s Easter weekend and they’re so much more shareable than cake, when there’s more than just a few people. Who doesn’t love finger-food?
I often post pics of my food adventures on Instagram and on my Facebook page, but I don’t post recipes here as often as I’d like to. I’ve been hearing that a lot from you all, too—post more vegan recipes! Okay, I heard you. 🙂 I put together a quick and easy recipe (my favourite kind!) for light, sweet, and totally delicious cupcakes to share with you:
I experimented a bit with this recipe—how does vanilla and almond taste together? Apparently, fantastic! I combined them doubly—both in extract form and also with the vanilla flavoured almond milk I used by Almond Breeze®.
I tried using a piping bag for the pretty blue frosting for the first time—there were some inconsistencies, but it was fun to use!
Check it out and let me know what you think:
Vegan Vanilla Almond Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 "eggs" I prefer Ener-g egg-replacer, but you can use apple sauce, a banana or a flax seed mixture
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup Blue Diamond Almond Breeze® almond milk I used the Vanilla flavour, but you could use original instead
- 1 teaspoon baking power
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Mix your vegan "eggs" in a small mixing bowl
- Add oil, almond milk, extracts and sugar to the "eggs"
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl
- Add liquid mixture to the large bowl
- Divide the mixture in to 12 cupcake moulds or a muffin pan
- Bake the cupcakes for 18 to 20 minutes in an oven, or about 15 to 18 minutes in a convection oven
- Use a toothpick to test the cupcakes. The toothpick should come out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool on a rack before icing
For the frosting, I used 2 cups of icing sugar, 1 cup of vegan margarine or shortening, and 1 Tablespoon of vanilla extract, plus blue food colouring.
I’d love to know what you’re doing this weekend—are you celebrating Easter with your friends and family?
I received Almond Breeze® vanilla flavoured almond milk so that I could put together this recipe for all of you. 🙂
Liked this recipe? Check out my free Vegan Substitutes printable to make it easier for you to put together your own vegan recipes.