Being away from home whether for the first year or the 2nd 3rd or 4th, to attend college can be trying. All the things you like to have around you to make you feel warm and welcome left behind miles away makes it difficult to feel in your element when trying to study or relax in your dorm room.
- In such a small space, you’ll want each piece you add to perform more than one function—have your additions do double duty.
- Don’t just go for pretty products, have the things you include in your dorm room be beautiful and functional.
- Purchase things that will last for next year’s dorm or your own place off campus.
- Filing cabinet or drawers—organize it by class or by type: one drawer for essays, and one for everyday lecture notes.
- A comfortable chair. Though some students end up spending a lot of time in the library studying, for some alone quiet time, you’ll want to make sure that there is an ergonomic chair available especially for late-night essay writing.
- A full spectrum light bulb – for a task lamp. With all the fluorescent bulbs in classrooms, your eyes will want a bit of a break when you get in to your dorm room.
- Extra blankets—perhaps with a favourite pattern or colour combination.
- Cork board—for reminders, to pin up family photos, or snaps of your puppy.